January 16, 2024 – Port Charlotte, Florida

On Friday, a North Port man called in a false report about planting a bomb at the local Neighborhood Walmart on Tamiami Trail in Port Charlotte.

Just before 3:00 pm on January 12th, the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Neighborhood Walmart at 2150 Tamiami Trail in reference to a bomb threat received via phone called in to 911. The caller advised dispatch that there was a bomb inside the Neighborhood Walmart and then hung up the phone. When dispatch attempted to call back, the suspect picked up the phone and stated, “Tic Toc, Tic Toc” and hung up again.

Deputies immediately responded and searched the area. They were promptly able to make contact with the owner of the phone, who advised that he had accidently left his phone in the restroom. He also stated that he was able to see via his Bluetooth watch that 911 was attempting to call him. He was then able to ping the location of his phone to the stall in which he had left it.

Upon reviewing Walmart security footage, the owner of the phone could be seen entering and exiting the restroom prior to the bomb threat being made. A man, later identified as Coty J. Clements (DOB: 03/28/1995), could be seen entering the restroom after the owner of the phone had left. During this time, the 911 call was made. Clements was seen shortly thereafter leaving the restroom and exiting the store.

Coty J. Clements (03/28/1995)

Clements was quickly located after having reentered the store. Being that Clements was the only one seen entering and exiting the restroom during the time the call was made, he was detained and questioned. During that interview, Clements provided a full confession, noting that he saw people make similar calls on the “Tik Tok” app.

Following this confession, Clements was placed under arrest and transported to the Charlotte County Jail where he faces a felony charge of:

  • False Report About Planting Bomb or Weapon of Mass Destruction

“Threats of any kind will not be tolerated in Charlotte County, and for this individual, I believe he learned that lesson promptly. Thankfully there was no actual threat to the public, but I want to commend the quick responses of my dispatchers as well as the deputies in ensuring the safety of the scene and in locating this suspect.”


Coty J. Clements was released on $15,000 bond and is set to appear again in court next month.