Unattended food on the stove appears to blame for a Tuesday night house fire.

According to a release from the Charlotte County Fire and EMS, smoke and heavy flames were reported as fire crews reached the home on Wellington Avenue.

The Red Cross is assisting in finding temporary housing for two adults displaced by the fire.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries, causing 48% of fires that resulted in 21% of the home fire deaths.