Mosquito Mondays: A look at Mosquito Management Trucks & Field Aids

Before and during Florida’s rainy season, Sarasota County Mosquito Management Services (MMS) uses trucks with computerized sprayers to apply larvicide in woodlots, stormwater ditches, and other known water retaining areas. Larvicide prevents larva and immature mosquitos from maturating into biting mosquitos by exterminating them with an environmentally friendly bacteria-based insecticide/pesticide, Bti.

Bti is a naturally occurring soil bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis that will not harm people, animals, other insects, or plants. It’s an environmentally safe, biological-control pesticide that only targets juvenile mosquitoes.

Truck missions are determined by size of area, population of mosquitoes, and road network availability (how close roads are in area).

MMS is also hiring seasonal field aids, no previous experience required. Learn more at the MMS job fair 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., Wednesday, April 12, at Mosquito Management Services, 5531 Pinkney Ave., Sarasota, or apply online at

About Mosquito Management Services

Sarasota County Mosquito Management Services treated at night last year more than 380,000 acres throughout unincorporated county, City of North Port, City of Sarasota, City of Venice, and the Town of Longboat Key with adulticide to reduce mosquito populations and help protect residents and visitors from mosquito borne illness. This year they have already treated over 230,000 acres

Also in 2022 they treated over 1,300 miles of ditches and this year have already treated over 500 miles of ditches.

Mosquito Management also reminds residents and visitors to protect themselves against mosquito borne illness by draining standing water from containers around their homes, apply mosquito repellent, and to cover up with long sleeves and pants when mosquitos are present.

View the latest mosquito spray missions or register for mission alerts at Learn more about Sarasota County Mosquito Management or to request service, visit or call 311.