A Port Charlotte couple has died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Family and friends tell WZVN-TV that Dale and Rose McGillivray may have accidentally left the car running in the garage.

Now they say this should serve as a warning to all to have carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

One friend says the McGillivrays had just retired late last year.

The Canadian couple spent the winters in Florida.

The sheriff’s office continues investigating how the McGillivrays died, but it says their deaths do not appear suspicious.

The funeral takes place today in Kitchener, Ont.